We are so excited to announce that the new TravelMap blog version is coming after months of incubation. For current users, this new version will not be a big surprise, the magic lies in the subtleties. Your blog now has a more app-like experience - faster and more fluid but still intuitive and easy to use.
- The focus on the map is even more emphasized now as the content appears on top of or next to the map instead of replacing it on the screen, so that visitors will be able to visualize what happened where during your trip much better. This is especially useful on the mobile version.
- Your map is now using the latest mapping technology: vector maps. This means the experience of zooming in and out, navigating between spots will be more fluid and smoother.
As some of you may know, we used to have Google Maps as our map provider. However, since they increased their price by 14 times, we had to look for open-source alternatives in order to stay sustainable.
- We also introduce a new set of custom vector map styles so Premium Plus users can personalize their TravelMaps. Take a look at some of them (there are many more coming soon):
- It's now possible to switch to a chronological timeline to reverse the order of your spots and show the oldest spot at the top (instead of the latest). See example here. Contact us if you want to try it out on your blog.
- We're also adding a new option to automatically center your map on the latest spot when your blog loads (instead of fitting all the spots in the screen) so it’s easier to follow you on a regular basis.
We are progressively rolling out the changes to everybody, starting with the Premium Plus and Premium accounts. Your blog will be updated automatically, there is no need to take any action.
Next step will be to implement the new cool stuff on the Administration to improve your experience as a user.
Please let us know your feedback and what you'd love to see on TravelMap.
If you don't have a TravelMap account yet, click here to create one.